"I have never welcomed the weakening of family ties by politics or pressure" - Nelson Mandela.
"He who travels for love finds a thousand miles no longer than one" - Japanese proverb.
"Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence." - Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
"When people's love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change". -
David Cameron.

Friday 14 June 2013

Les and Becky - update

We first heard from Les and Becky here : http://britcits.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/les-and-becky-my-wife-is-eminently.html

They have updated their story here :
http://www.scribd.com/doc/147868191/Becky-Les-BritCits-Update

Excerpts :

'We faced what was to be our last Christmas together in Scotland (and possibly the foreseeable future) as best we could. Our friends – our true friends – and Becky’s family were incredibly supportive, as well as shocked, dismayed, angry and incredulous at what had befallen us and what was to come. Some friends of Becky’s invited us to their home for Christmas dinner. Wonderful food, selfless generosity, great company (and not a little malt whisky) provided a momentary cushion against the looming reality of our enforced separation...

'... The tears were never far away. Truth be told they’ve flowed almost constantly since last years sudden thump of realisation that this day would eventually have to be faced.

'... My last sight of Becky was of her passing through airport security, placing personal items into the boxes provided. I hoped to catch her eye one final time but she didn’t look back. She later told me that she couldn’t do it.

'... And so to today. Becky is lodged temporarily with her parents in Battleground, WA, distracting herself from the loneliness with endless job search. We speak on Skype as often as we can, exchange emails and comments on Facebook. It’s never the same of course. She can’t afford to visit, and besides, could we go through the trauma of separation all over again? Because that’s what it would be like, so thank goodness for the world-wide-web, despite it’s obvious limitations in conducting a full and meaningful marriage.

'... Prior to her leaving we decided that the only real prospect of us being reunited in the near future was to initiate the US immigration process so that, all being well, I could join her there. Becky may be American but her heart was here. She was settled; she loved Scotland and had found her “place” in the World and she had much to offer this country by way of talents and skills. I in turn, have no desire to move to the States (but for the fact that it’s where my Wife is now exiled). We have to realistic though. As things stand, the chances of me being able to secure a job that meets the infamous earnings requirement when I can’t even get one at Minimum Wage seem so unlikely that we felt there was no alternative but for me to uproot from all that I know. Anyway, why should I care to stay in a country that wants neither my wife (as a foreigner) nor me (as “dole scum”, despite working full time with CAB for no financial reward)?

'... Once I’m gone, that possibility leaves with me, but however much resentment I feel towards this land, there will always be something of me that remains behind and can never be fully sundered from the island of its birth. That “thing” is a person. A beautiful little person by the name of Holly Rowan. You will never be far from my thoughts. I may have left you, but you will never leave me.'

Rowan

No comments:

Post a Comment