"I have never welcomed the weakening of family ties by politics or pressure" - Nelson Mandela.
"He who travels for love finds a thousand miles no longer than one" - Japanese proverb.
"Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence." - Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
"When people's love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change". -
David Cameron.

Tuesday 30 July 2013

Hayley

Hayley tells her story in her own words. Her Facebook campaign - 'Married and living apart due to UKBA's current unrealistic requirements' - is here : https://www.facebook.com/keptapartbyunrealisticrequirements?ref=hl

'In April 2011 I went to start my summer season working in Tunisia as an entertainer where I first met my (now) husband.

'From when we first met, all summer long, we were inseparable. We spent all day, every day, in each other's company. In the winter my contract ended to I travelled back to the UK.

'Both of us were heartbroken. I soon booked two separate trips to ensure we would spend time in person together, over the winter, and not just though a computer screen on Skype. I travelled out in January to meet his family; and again in March for my birthday, so we could spend it together. I then returned for a second season in Tunisia for summer 2012.

'It was like I had never left. We were inseparable. At the end of the season I decided that I wanted to end my career as an entertainer. I wanted to get married, settle down, pursue a new career in the UK.

'I returned to the UK. Both of us were heartbroken. Within days of being home I booked my return journeys for January and April.

'We still remained as close as ever. Every day we would share jokes, laugh, share our days with each other through Skype. In June 2013 we got married - an amazing day!! All the preparing and sorting out a wedding a thousand miles apart was so stressful - but it really was the best day of our lives!  Like any other couple we were looking forward to planning, dreaming, and building our future together as husband and wife.

'Unfortunately, due to the new income requirement, we are still having to live apart. 
 
'Most newlyweds can start their new lives together. But instead we have to look at each other through a computer screen a thousand miles apart. The current law is making it simply impossible to be together. 
 
'I may not earn £18,600 - but I know can support my spouse without any aid from the state. I work full time, I live in a large family-owned property, and all of my family work and support each other.  
 
'The income requirement is unjustified and unrealistic and needs to change. Having a requirement half the population could never meet is ridicuous, outrageous. This is affecting not just me and my husband, but many other couples and families - forced to live apart. What kind of a government does this to its own people!


No comments:

Post a Comment