"I have never welcomed the weakening of family ties by politics or pressure" - Nelson Mandela.
"He who travels for love finds a thousand miles no longer than one" - Japanese proverb.
"Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence." - Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
"When people's love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change". -
David Cameron.

Sunday 12 May 2013

A good summary of Surinder Singh and free movement in Europe

Spotted on Facebook.

'You and your spouse move to an EU country of your choice. You get a job and somewhere to live with your direct family member (spouse, civil partner, elderly dependant, spouse's dependant child, etc) and apply EU1 for a residence card. When you apply for a residence card your family member gets a 6 months visa to live with you and they are also allowed to work.

'When you receive the residence card which can take up to 6 months, your family member applies for a Family Permit from the UK Embassy to come to UK and live and work here with you. You both return to UK together and your family member is allowed to stay for 6 months and this is automatically renewed for a 5 year visa. All these visas are free except for a postage charge.

'If it is taking too long for the residence card you can take your family member to the UK border and demand an A1 stamp in their passport which allows them to accompany you into UK and to live and work with you. To qualify for the A1 stamp they (if a spouse) have to prove they are in a genuine marriage with you and that they have been living with you in EU. You have to prove that you have been living and working in an EU country other than your home country. You need a work contract and letter from your employer. At least 10 weeks/2 months payslips working at least 12 hours a week. Rent book/contract and letter from your landlord. Utility bills. Bank statements. Passports. A letter from you stating that you have exercised your Right of Free Movement by working in another EU country and now you are returning to UK with your spouse under the Surinder Singh ruling.'



No comments:

Post a Comment