"I have never welcomed the weakening of family ties by politics or pressure" - Nelson Mandela.
"He who travels for love finds a thousand miles no longer than one" - Japanese proverb.
"Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence." - Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
"When people's love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change". -
David Cameron.

Tuesday 27 August 2013

Christine

Given the emergency in Syria and the urgency of this story, this needs to be spread far and wide. Christine has done the right thing in contacting her MP, who has committed to fighting her corner, and her local media. This story needs all the attention it can get - urgently.

'My name is Christine.

'My husband is stuck in Syria and the UKBA has rejected our settlement application once (they said that I had provided insufficient evidence to prove I met the financial requirement and that he had met the English language requirement. They objected to my stamped and printed online bank statement which evidenced my substantial savings of in addition to my tax free income. (Note - income is under the requirement but income plus savings put Christine above the economic requirement to sponsor spouses). They further claimed that without the certificate of entry into the KET the certificate we provided was invalid. Needless to say, they were splitting hairs). I reapplied on 15 July with all the additional information present.

'Now the problem of course is that there has been a serious escalation in the war in Syria particularly in and around Damascus. Ziad my husband lives only 15 mins away from the chemical weapon attack sites. One day later there was a huge car bomb near our house. Just yesterday his car was sprayed with bullets and he was detained. I still don't know why. He says he is under threat from the regime who may not now allow him to leave the country.

'The point I want to raise in advance of Parliament convening to discuss the Syria issue is this. Does the UK Government not have a duty of care to the Syrian spouses of UK citizens with proven links to the UK to prioritise their visa decisions? Does the fact that the Home Office/UKBA are leaving such people high and dry not contravene the FCO (and indeed Cameron's) policy and rhetoric on Syria and the humanitarian cost of the conflict. I want to sell this as a Syria policy issue not an immigration issue. I am not asking for special measures to circumvent the rules (in any case I meet the financial requirements) but simply to raise my case because of the humanitarian situation.'

4 comments:

  1. Chemical weapon attack sites? You for real or just another Awful troll?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is no troll. This is a very real situation.

    Steps are underway with those in a position to help, to assist this couple's desperate situation.

    - Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this the ultimate #settlementvisanightmare ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi anonymous my husband is stuck in Damascus near the chemical attack site. He has been shot at in recent days by a sniper and narrowly avoided being blown up by shelling. So would you mind not taking the piss please?

    ReplyDelete