"I have never welcomed the weakening of family ties by politics or pressure" - Nelson Mandela.
"He who travels for love finds a thousand miles no longer than one" - Japanese proverb.
"Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence." - Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
"When people's love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change". -
David Cameron.

Friday 18 July 2014

Immigration rules bring Ryedale woman to breaking point

http://m.gazetteherald.co.uk/news/11344714._/

' A WOMAN who was adopted and brought to the UK as a child more than 30 years ago has been told she must now go through the naturalisation process to become a British citizen.

Glenda Hyde, who lives in Welburn, was born in the US and placed into care until she was three years old when she was adopted by a British couple.

The family moved to England in 1974, when Glenda was seven.

Mrs Hyde, 46, said she had lived in the country since and had only been abroad once, when she was 18.

“I got my National Insurance number without any problem and married my first husband when I was 20 without any issues,” she said.

“We had three children who are all UK and British citizens and I was widowed in 2000.”

Mrs Hyde said it was not until she met her second husband, Nicholas, that problems occurred.

“We applied to the local register office and was told I couldn’t marry there because I wasn’t a British citizen as I had an American birth certificate, and after being passed between immigration and the passport office the conclusion was that I could face deportation,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment