"I have never welcomed the weakening of family ties by politics or pressure" - Nelson Mandela.
"He who travels for love finds a thousand miles no longer than one" - Japanese proverb.
"Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence." - Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
"When people's love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change". -
David Cameron.

Saturday 9 November 2013

Open letter to the British people from an Australian citizen.
 
"Announcement:

Hello my friends,

You may have noticed that recently I have been posting up lots of political articles, some of which you may agree with, others not. Many of those articles have been about immigration. Some of you may even know why I've been putting those posts up - out of protest.

You see, as an Australian living in the UK, I am an immigrant. In recent times, I have seen how there has been an increasing political campaign by a particular party which very much scapegoats immigrants for what is going on n this country. Sadly, the other parties, afraid of losing votes, have followed suit.

The point of this post is not to get into a political debate with you. Quite frankly, I'm not interested in a debate. The reason why? It's very simple. It has affected me directly.

I have been in this country for 9 years. In the whole of that time I have worked for the NHS, in the Child and Adolescent Mental Health sector, helping young people of this country through sometimes quite severe mental health problems. Some of those young people still contact me to this day, to let me know of their achievements and well-being.

I have also contributed in taxes that whole time. I have never been unemployed, I don't have children and I don't have a disability. In other words, I have paid my taxes but have never required, thankfully, to draw on benefits for anything. Ever.

I am considered as "highly skilled". Without going into my CV, suffice to say, I have two Masters degrees and various lesser qualifications.

I own my own property.

I do not have a criminal record.

Yet, with all of that, on Friday UKBA/Home Office decided not to renew my visa and I have no right to appeal. As of Friday, I was given just 28 days to pack up my house, my home, my life and leave.

As of Friday, I am no longer allowed to work. Yesterday, I was formally dismissed from my job without notice or severance pay, after 9 years dedicated to the UK National Health Service, reaching a senior position in which I was held in high esteem. I should also point out that that meeting was called a "hearing", in which there were "allegations" and an "investigation", as though having my visa renewal rejected was a crime. (Admittedly, they later apologised for this but only after I made it clear that it was a disgrace).

Ironically, I am no longer entitled to health care. The very same health care that I have contributed to in terms of work and taxes.

In fact, as of Friday, I have no rights in the UK whatsoever, despite owning properties and my years of contribution here.

The only way around this for me now is to demand my removal papers (and risk arrest), which then grants me right to appeal. A day in court with legal representation costs several thousands of pounds.

I wanted to tell you all this because I want you to know, as UK citizens, what the REALITY of the immigration situation is.

So when you read in the papers or hear in the media that the government has reduced the number of immigrants in this country, think of me and say to yourself "now I know how they do it!"

Thanks for your time."

Via Runformywife - https://www.facebook.com/groups/228044687371545/


6 comments:

  1. Absolutely disgusting. If it is any consolation to you, the U.K. government are doing the same to the Kiwi's, Canadians and Americans as well as the Aussies. The U.K.'s loss will be Australia's gain. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why was the visa refused. If you are married and are doing a run for your wife surely you could have applied for a spouse visa. I would have thought in a senior position in the Nhs you would be well overthe financial requirements

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous -

      You are in fact talking about two different people. The lady in this piece is not the same as this couple : http://britcits.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/hannah-and-james-american-hannah-and.html . James is doing #runformywife and her drew my attention to the piece.

      The visa refusal was for reasons other than the income requirement and is not -directly- related to the spousal visa issue, but it does highlight how short-sighted and harmful the government's attitude to immigration is, and what being 'tough' on immigrants - who have doing nothing to harm Britain and everything to contribute to it - actually means in practice.

      Delete
    2. ('her drew' = 'he drew'! Typo.)

      Delete
  3. So what were the reasons. It is not a very balanced article without the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say it is pretty safe to assume the reason for the denial is that her job is no longer on the 'shortage list' so she has not been granted a 'skilled worker' visa...

    ReplyDelete